The Benefits of Gratitude

Gratitude is the art or act of being grateful. Being grateful for life, for self, for others, and for the things or experiences we have. Gratitude is a thought, a word, and an action. Gratitude is a "felt sensation." Gratitude appreciates the simple and more complex moments in life both past, present, and even future. 

It is very difficult to be grateful for the events, circumstances, or  experiences that have given us pain, hurt, or suffering. It is challenging to let go of loved ones or to experience personal struggles with self or with others. Life happens and in some of the worst case scenarios, gratitude is hard to come by. 

Can we however begin to practice gratitude for the things that we have and for the things or people we have lost? We can gradually and gently cultivate a practice of being grateful for these difficult experiences in our lives? 

What are the benefits of practicing Gratitude? One can find many studies on the benefits of gratitude, but these are my thoughts upon it based on experience. 

To be grateful implies a thought, word, or action about something or someone. Gratitude for a positive experience amplifies that vibration in our lives and leads to more of them as we practice being grateful. 

Our willingness to be grateful for the so-called negative or difficult experiences in our lives will create over time an "energy of acceptance" for what is or what was. It weakens the resistance or blockage within us to whatever we are trying to be grateful for. Gratitude opens doors to what we are holding onto so that it can be more peacefully and lovingly released. 

Our awareness that we must be grateful for something is a first step. A second step is to practice gratitude in simple thoughts, words, or actions. Even if we feel "ungrateful" for what we are trying to be grateful for, our intent to heal is sufficient to begin a movement toward greater and truer felt gratitude. A third step is gentleness with ourselves in the process of gratitude as we become more grateful for that which is hard or challenging.  

Gratitude is akin to love. It is an act of showing love and gratefulness for that which have or had. Since the vibration of love and gratitude elicits a positive charge within us and around us in our lives, we expand that field of gratitude, which supports us to feel better. Wholeness comes with gratitude. 

My rigorous practice with gratitude has come and gone in my life. I do however practice gratitude each day through "feeling" grateful for what life is and has given me. Gratitude is a simple act of acknowledging in my life the beauty around me and within me. It is a willingness to see the upside of all of life. 

Over the last years of my experience, I've had many life changes occur. My marriage ended after 14 years, I've had health problems, and I've worked through anxiety and fear. Practicing gratitude for these events or experiences in those moments or after them was extremely difficult yet empowering. 

With time, I was able to be more grateful. Gratitude opened major doors for my own personal healing and healing of relationships with both others and myself. Gratitude for me increased the love I felt every day and allowed me to see the beauty in the ups and downs, often leading me to greater peace, acceptance, and appreciation. 

The act of practicing Gratitude will lead to physical, mental, and emotional health over time. Practicing gratitude will attract a higher, more positive vibration of experience in our lives, but also more importantly, gratitude reconnects us with our deeper nature. It builds recognition of who we are and lends to growth in awareness. Gratitude brings more love into our lives. 

Practice Gratitude.  We can do our best to cultivate it even when it's hard. Much love 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Story of Walking In Nature

Learning From Our Youth In A Time of Polarization

Understanding Anxiety & Some Tips to Begin to Overcome It