A Story of Walking In Nature


I walk in nature. 

I walk along a trail that leads somewhere. It is nestled into the green growth of a forest whose trees reach the sky. The singing of birds echo in my ears, each with a distinct song and message. One bird here and one bird there. 

I hear the branches of the trees as they sway in the subtle breeze. I notice my footsteps on the dirt path. A dog barks in the distance but I know it is not mine. My dog, Barish, is near, jumping over fallen trees, smelling the scent of animals, and investigating the home of a creature below the ground. 

The trail takes me to a stream. Flowing water fills my eyes, ears, and heart. It tries to calm the endless thoughts that rumble through my mind like freight trains. I walk over a footbridge and it bounces against my weight. From my view the stream now sparkles in the sunlight, its rays pouring down from the heavens.  

My busy mind continues unabated even if nature is slowly winning. I walk along a straightaway into an area without sun but instead cool shade. An invisible spider web brushes across my face and distracts me from all-consuming thoughts. Annoyed I stop and breathe in an effort to quiet them. 

Suddenly, I hear a quiet voice within me that stops the thoughts and communicates its presence. And it happens. I am fully here. The sun is shining through the trees bouncing off all things. The trees sway in the breeze again and the birds are alive. A large frog sounds off from the murky pool of water below. Barish pauses to look with me. 

I hear everything. 

My eyes meet a dragonfly paused in mid-air. It lands on a tall plant nearby and I approach. I look deep into its alien eyes, fully present with it and it with me. Neither of us move and we stare at each other in a place of no time. 

I proceed on to be greeted by a yellow butterfly and then another with orange and red wings. Dragonflies descend upon me against the tune of ants marching below my feet. I am exposed to the scorching sun beyond the trees in an opening. I feel its warmth. 

What new surprises await in the presence of this never ending moment? 

A deer. 

The backside of a deer at midday on a hill. Barish sees it too and takes off. Before they disappear, I see the back legs of the deer in its escape and the black and brown fur of my playful dog in pursuit of his new adventure.  

I know the deer is too fast for him and so I walk down to the edge of the stream to wait and dip my hands into its cool embrace. I splash my face. Soon I notice Barish barreling back down the hill toward me out of breath but deeply fulfilled. 

On the way back, I meet my friend the dragonfly again in the same exact spot. It waits for me. We stare at each other for only a few seconds before it flies away flashing at me the intense blue of its tiny vibrating wings in a ray of sunlight to animate my soul. 

I fight to stay present with the fleeting nature as the parking lot looms. My busy thoughts return to a world beyond this magical place. Barish resists our departure. He taunts me to play from many yards away to tell me that the world can wait. And so I consider it for awhile breathing in the natural air. 

At the car, I see missed messages on my cell phone and notice the increasing flood of thoughts. The peace of nature remains however because within me resides its presence, its power, and its abundant grace.  

Comments

  1. Beautifully written, Jonathan!! I felt like I was there. You really conveyed how deeply you were seeing, hearing, sensing beyond what was physically there. I could sense the struggle with your thoughts and the anticipation of what was to come. And when you realized you were totally present, with the sense of delight, excitement, and awe -- that was cool! I really enjoyed reading all of your blogs. Thank you for sharing this with me. Keep on writing and sharing!










    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Very kind. I missed this comment. Who are you, friend? Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning From Our Youth In A Time of Polarization

Understanding Anxiety & Some Tips to Begin to Overcome It