Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Being Present is Key

Today I read the second to last chapter of Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth." If you haven't read it, I highly suggest you picking it up. He is so clear in his explanations and descriptions, it's very easy to follow.

In this chapter, he talks about inner and outer purpose. Inner purpose is primary, outer purpose is secondary. By connecting with our inner purpose, we create a more balanced and genuine outer purpose.

He talks a lot about awareness and consciousness. When we are in the present moment, we are truly aware, and everything is possible. We're not concerned with past or future, we're here. By doing that, we stop time and allow for all possibilities in our lives to be realized. There is nothing we can't do. Awareness brings connection to self and then self transcends the relative and the mundane in our lives allowing for us to fulfill our true inner purpose more effectively. It allows us to harmoniously combine inner and outer purpose in everything we do.

Having read this, I stepped back, as I often do these days, and connected with the present moment. It's incredible, if even for a moment. No stress or strain, no worry or anxiety. Simply present. It's a connection with pure consciousness, with your true inner self.

I've noticed that when I need to find something and I'm stressed or thinking too much, it's much harder to find what I am looking for. It's like your circling it but you don't see it at all because you are caught in the past or lost in the future.

Today, I needed to find the plug for the drain in the bathtub and being present, I found it with ease. I guarantee you on a different day or at a different moment, when my mind was lost in the noise of the relative world, I'd have been searching endlessly for it, frustrated and perturbed, before finally realizing after much struggle, that it was right there all along. Thus, presence draws things to you, non-presence pushes them away.

While my example seems ridiculously silly (which it is), the beauty of it is that these are simple things, simple connections with self and presence that make all the difference. It's precisely this "connection" that we need to materialize and realize much bigger things in our lives.

Being present is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment